Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2014

By No Means Am I A Photographer....

Welcome!

What have I been up to the past few weeks you ask?  Trying my best to be a photographer...

So as I was checking my shop stats on my iPhone one day I noticed some photos of listings that had been viewed looked a bit strange...

I guess because each device displays colors differently it was really obvious to me all of a sudden... some photos were quite dark while others seemed to have a pinkish hue to the background...

I have no idea why, I take all my photos against white background, even added a spot light lamp to brighten things up a bit...let me show you what I'm talking about:

Bangles Photo Comparison
 HOW did I not see this before????? I use pic monkey for editing my photos to the proper size dimensions but I always worry about being true to the color of the pearls, gemstones, feathers etc. but I mean, come on!!! The photos on the left are completely pinkish in the background!!!  I went back and adjusted the "temperature" but then they look a bit blue so I added "brightness" and SO much better!  I think the color of the pearls is still very true to in person and look much better than what I had before!

There is so much to learn with running a shop on Etsy...

So I was curious... were my other photos this bad?....
Pendants Photo Comparison
 Yup, kinda pink and dark...oh but it gets worse...
Feather Earrings Photo Comparison
 EEEEEEEEEKKKKKK!!!!!!! So devastated when I saw how bad they were, I was in utter disbelief that I somehow thought they looked good.... thank you little iPhone...you really saved me!

So that is what I have been doing for the entire two weeks... going through all 600+ items in my shop, section by section, re-editing photos then re-editing each listing one at a time to upload the better photo...did I mention there are 4 photos per item???

On my wish list is a new camera (I'm still using my Kodak easy share that I bought 7 years ago) and also maybe a light box...I have seen lots of do-it-yourself instructions on how to make one...but with my luck it will make my pictures even more pink!  I just need to find one that is tall enough to fit my mannequin bust inside for my necklaces.  I think it's important to show the length and how they fall when worn, not everyone does it but I would like to continue to do so.  

Apparently photographing on a white background is the most difficult, unless you are a professional, but I will give it another shot once I get a proper light box, if all else fails I may go with a light grey fabric as my backdrop, trying to keep with my Litva's brand colors, I just don't want to distract from the beautiful little subjects I am trying to capture...If I've learned one thing through all this it is that I love to make jewelry, but by no means am I a photographer!  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment